Stage 1 - Theory Test
The purpose of this test is to examine knowledge of the Rules of the Road as well as general road safety and driving instruction matters. The structure of the test is similar in format to the existing theory test for learner drivers. There will be varying number of questions depending on the categories of instruction being applied for. The applicant must pass Stage 1 – Theory Test before they can continue to Stage 2 and Stage 3.
The number of attempts permitted for the Theory Test is not restricted. All three
parts of the examination process must be completed within two years of
successfully completing the Theory Test.
Theoretical Test - Subject Matters:
· Road Safety precepts and practice
· Rules of the Road
· RSA ADI Scheme (as outlined in this booklet)
· Driving techniques and handling the vehicle and controls., Use of correct road procedure
· Vulnerable road users
· Pedagogical techniques and assessment of pupils
· Dealing with pupils who have learning or language difficulties
· Dealing with pupils who have physical disabilities and familiarization with common vehicle adaptations
· Interpersonal skills
· Correction of pupils driving faults
· Knowledge of basic mechanics of vehicle and maintenance
· Driving for life, beyond the practical driving test
· Scene of accidents
· Driver Testing Procedures and Documentation including the Driving Test Report form
· Other matters as considered appropriate from time to time by the RSA.